Agency Approval Symbols - Electronic Components

UL (Underwriters Laboratories) Recognized Component Mark

These are marks consumers rarely see because they are specifically used on component parts that are part of a larger product or system. The component recognition marking is found on a wide range of products, including some switches, power supplies, printed wiring boards, some kinds of industrial control equipment and thousands of other products. The "C" and the "US" markings signify that the component is UL recognized in both Canada and the United States.

UL Listing Mark

Not to be confused with the symbol above, the UL Listing mark appears on end products and complete components suitable for factory and field installation. This type of mark is seen commonly on appliances, computer equipment, furnaces, heaters, fuses, electrical panel boards, smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, fire extinguishers, and thousands of other products. The "C" and the "US" markings signify that the component is UL Listed in both Canada and the United States.

The CB (Certified Bodies) Scheme

As national economies become global, it's increasingly important that countries work together to facilitate international trade. The CB Scheme, established by the International Electrotechnical Committee for Conformity Testing to Standards for Electrical Equipment (IECEE), provides a means for the mutual acceptance of test reports among participating safety certification organizations in certain product categories. The CB Scheme is an international network made up of product certification organizations in more than 50 countries throughout North and South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and Africa.

CE Marking

A CE marking is a European marking of conformity that indicates a product complies with the essential requirements of the applicable European laws or directives with respect to safety, health, environment and consumer protection. The CE Marking is required on products in the countries of the European Economic Area (EEA) to facilitate trade among the member countries.

The CE marking provides a means for a manufacturer to demonstrate that a product complies with a common set of laws required by all of the countries in the EEA to allow free movement of trade within the EEA countries.

CSA (Canadian Standards Association) Certification

The CSA is a non-profit standards organization that provides its registered mark to show that a product has been independently tested and certified to meet recognized standards for safety or performance. The component certification marks are given to end-units for electrical & electronic products, gas-fired products, plumbing products, personal protective equipment and a wide range of other products. The "C" and the "US" markings signify that the component is certified in both Canada and the United States.

TUV Rheinland Test Mark

TUV Rheinland is an independent German monitoring consultant providing technical, safety, and certification services. Its test mark is one of the most recognizable test marks in Germany. Strict test procedures are performed on all products for quality, safety and reliability. Some of the products commonly tested are home appliances, audio/video products, medical products, textiles, and telecommunication equipment.


RoHS (pronounced ROW HAWS) is The Restriction of the Use of Certain Hazardous Substances in Electrical and Electronic Equipment. Effective since July 2006 it bans any new electrical or electronic equipment containing more than the agreed upon levels of lead, cadmium, mercury, hexavalent chromium, polybrominated biphenyl (PBB) and polybrominated diphenyl ether (PBDE) flame retardants. All manufacturers are responsible for meeting the requirements of the RoHS Directive for products and components bound for the European market and Jameco makes it easy to identify which products qualify for the RoHS standard using its symbol.

CCC (China Compulsory Certificate) Mark

The CCC mark is a required safety mark for product quality standardization by the government of China. It is mandatory for both domestically manufactured products and products imported into China covered in the CCC catalogue. Some of the products covered include electrical wires and cables, switches for circuits, motor vehicles, medical devices, and much more. Products listed in the catalogue that do not meet CCC requirements may be held at the border by Chinese Customs and may be subject to other penalties.

VDE (Verband der Elektrotechnik) Certification Mark

VDE, the Association for Electrical, Electronic & Information Technologies, is one of the largest technical and scientific associations in Europe with more than 36,000 members. They work to foster a better climate for innovation and ensure the highest safety standards, among other things. VDE is one of the world's most prominent independent testing organizations for electric and electronic products. Virtually every electrical product used daily by the public in Germany and elsewhere is tested and certified by the Institute.

CEC (California Energy Commission)

California Energy Commission
California Energy Commission
The State of California has strict requirements regarding the energy policy and efficiency of all appliances, lighting and other products being manufactured or sold in the state. The CEC is the agency that maintains the California Energy Code, and promotes energy efficiency and renewable energy throughout. Since California has one of the most stringent standards in the United States, products that carry the CEC compliant mark are assured to meet a certain level of efficiency and may also qualify owners for exclusive rebates.